Ava Czapalay was appointed Associate Deputy Minister of the Department of Labour and Advanced Education in June 2019.
Ava served as Senior Executive Director for the Higher Education Branch of the Department of Labour and Advanced Education before becoming associate deputy minister. She was also founding President and CEO of EduNova, a co-operative industry association of education and training providers in Nova Scotia.
Ava has a Master of Education from Dalhousie University. She’s currently Vice-chair of the International Women’s Forum Atlantic Chapter and sits on the boards of the Discovery Centre, Discovery Centre International and the Maritime Provinces Higher Education Commission.
Associate Deputy Minister, Department of Labour and Advanced Education
The associate deputy minister manages operations for the department and advises the deputy minister and minister.
- overseeing the leadership, direction and mandates for the branches of higher education, labour services, and skills and learning
- supporting leadership from the apprenticeship agency and safety branch
- helping advance the department’s mandate
- providing advice to the minister and government
- Senior Executive Director, Higher Education Branch, Department of Labour and Advanced Education
- President and CEO, EduNova
- Corporate Strategist, Department of Economic Development
- Assistant Registrar, Dalhousie University