Department of Economic Development: About us
What we do
The Department of Economic Development works with Crown corporations and special operating entities (Develop Nova Scotia, Innovacorp, Invest Nova Scotia, Tourism Nova Scotia and Nova Scotia Business Inc.) to develop plans, programs and policies that encourage entrepreneurship, help attract venture capital investment and grow sectors of the economy. We also work with other government departments and levels of government, universities, NSCC and the private and social enterprise sectors to create a shared strategy for business growth.
We're responsible for:
- working to help make Nova Scotia competitive and business-friendly
- administering the Invest Nova Scotia fund
- leading projects including rural internet, Centre for Ocean Ventures and Entrepreneurship (COVE) and the Halifax Convention Centre
- accountability reporting on the Nova Scotia Jobs Fund, Nova Scotia Fund, Strategic Investment Funds and Nova Scotia Film & Television Production Incentive Fund
Who we are
The Department of Economic Development has about 25 staff with experience in business, community development and public sector planning.
Our priorities are:
- helping grow the social enterprise sector
- working with Develop Nova Scotia and the Internet Funding Trust to improve high-speed internet service across the province
- launching the Centre for Ocean Ventures & Entrepreneurship
- helping entrepreneurs build strong companies and opportunities for creative collaboration