Disaster financial assistance for non-profits: spring 2023 wildfires
Non-profits can apply for disaster financial assistance for damage or loss from the spring 2023 wildfires. You need to apply by 31 January 2024.
Use the Disaster Assistance for Non-profits Application Form to apply for financial assistance for damage or loss to your non-profit from the spring 2023 wildfires.
The Disaster Financial Assistance Program helps non-profits with costs to repair or replace uninsurable, essential basic property loss (like appliances and furniture) due to the spring 2023 wildfires. The program is also available to residential property owners and tenants and small businesses.
Repair and replacement costs for insured and insurable items (even if insurance wasn’t purchased) are not eligible for assistance. Food lost due to the spring 2023 wildfires also isn’t eligible for assistance.
Financial assistance amount
Financial assistance provides up to $200,000 for repair and replacement costs.
Help with your application
211 Nova Scotia can answer questions about the application process and help identify what information and supporting documents you need.
Non-profits can apply for financial assistance if:
- the damage occurred during the wildfires in Halifax Regional Municipality, Shelburne County and Yarmouth County on 27 May to 11 June 2023
- you don't have insurance to cover your entire loss
- the organization owns the property
- the organization operates as a non-profit
- the organization operates a facility in the community’s interest and there is unrestricted public access to the facility
You need to apply by 31 January 2024.
How to apply
- Complete the Confirmation of Insurance Form and application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail.
There is no cost to apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- name of insurance company, policy number, and agent’s name and phone number
- photos of the damage, as well as any “before” photos if you have any
- itemized description of damage or loss and replacement cost estimates
- copy of the articles of incorporation
- copy of the organization’s latest annual financial statements
- copy of your rental agreement, if applicable
- authorized representative of the organization available to sign the form
- authorized representative of your insurance company available to complete and sign the Confirmation of Insurance Form
Applications are closed.