Disaster financial assistance for non-profits: Hurricane Fiona
Applications are closed. Non-profits can apply for disaster financial assistance for damage or loss from Hurricane Fiona. You need to apply by 24 February 2023.
Use the Disaster Assistance for Non-profits Application Form to apply for financial assistance for damage or loss to your non-profit from Hurricane Fiona.
The Disaster Financial Assistance Program helps non-profits with costs to repair or replace uninsurable, essential basic property loss (like appliances and furniture) due to Hurricane Fiona. The program is also available to residential property owners and tenants and small businesses.
Repair and replacement costs for insured and insurable items (even if insurance wasn’t purchased) are not eligible for assistance. Food lost due to Hurricane Fiona also isn’t eligible for assistance.
Financial assistance amount
Financial assistance provides up to $200,000 for repair and replacement costs.
Help with your application
211 Nova Scotia can answer questions about the application process and help identify what information and supporting documents you need.
Non-profits can apply for financial assistance if:
- the damage occurred during Hurricane Fiona on 23 to 24 September 2022
- you don't have insurance to cover your entire loss
- the organization owns the property
- the organization operates as a non-profit
- the organization operates a facility in the community’s interest and there is unrestricted public access to the facility
You need to apply by 24 February 2023.
How to apply
- Complete the Confirmation of Insurance Form and application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail.
How long it takes
It should take 6 to 8 weeks for the Emergency Management Office to review your application and let you know if you’re receiving financial assistance. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- name of insurance company, policy number, and agent’s name and phone number
- photos of the damage, as well as any “before” photos if you have any
- itemized description of damage or loss and replacement cost estimates
- copy of the articles of incorporation
- copy of the organization’s latest annual financial statements
- copy of your rental agreement, if applicable
- authorized representative of the organization available to sign the form
- authorized representative of your insurance company available to complete and sign the Confirmation of Insurance Form
Applications are closed.