Apply for health and dental coverage for an over age dependent child: member employers
You can apply for health and dental coverage for your dependent child if they’re between the ages of 21 and 24, unmarried, unemployed and attending an accredited school, college or university on a full-time basis. You need to be enrolled in the Government of Nova Scotia Health and Dental Plan to provide coverage to your dependent child.
Use the Over Age Dependent Application for Health and Dental Coverage Form - Member Employer to apply for health and dental coverage for your dependent child.
Employees of member employers that participate in the Government of Nova Scotia’s group health and dentals plans can apply for health and dental coverage for a dependent child.
The dependent child needs to be:
- between the ages of 21 and 24
- attending an accredited school, college or university on a full-time basis
You need to apply each school year for each of your eligible, over age dependent children until they’re no longer students or turn 25, whichever comes first. A school year is 1 September to 31 August.
If you don’t apply each school year, your child’s coverage will end the day they turn 21 or at the end of each approved school year.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Send your completed application to your employer by mail, fax or email.
How long it takes
Changes are effective from the date the administrator receives your application.
There is no cost to apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- employee payroll number
- start and end dates for your dependent child’s school term
- Blue Advantage Savings (discount program) - Medavie Blue Cross
- Employee benefits overview: member employers
- Health and Dental Plan benefits for active employees of participating member employers
- Health and Dental Plan Contract
- Health and Dental Plan costs: government employees and retirees
- Medavie Blue Cross
- Special Dependent Questionnaire - Medavie Blue Cross
- Submit a claim to Medavie Blue Cross