Apply for funding to support municipal infrastructure projects: Municipal Capital Growth Program
The Municipal Capital Growth Program supports investment in municipal infrastructure projects. Municipalities and villages can apply for funding from the Municipal Capital Growth Program to help reduce the cost of infrastructure projects that support the province’s growing population. You can apply until 13 December 2023.
Use the Municipal Capital Growth Program Application Form to apply for funding to support the cost of municipal infrastructure projects.
You need to use the funding for municipally owned infrastructure projects like:
- water and wastewater (including storm-sewer separation)
- climate change adaptation
- brownfield redevelopment preparation (restore contaminated land to allow for future development)
Projects that address critical capacity issues or expand infrastructure services in the municipality are given priority. Priority is also given to projects that build more accessible or adaptable communities and restore contaminated land to allow for future development.
The Municipal Capital Growth Program may fund up to 50% of eligible costs for each project. The applicant needs to fund the remaining balance of the costs.
Eligible costs include:
- engineering services and project management
- construction inspection and administration
- costs of construction and equipment according to the plans and specifications
Ineligible costs include:
- costs from before the project is approved
- interim financing costs
- non-fixed assets that are not essential for the operation of the infrastructure project
- operation and maintenance costs
- costs of acquiring land
- leasing land, buildings and other facilities
- real estate fees and other costs
- overhead costs, including salaries and other employment benefits of any employees of the applicant
- expenses already cost shared by other funding programs
If you receive funding from the Municipal Capital Growth Program, you need to submit a Project Closeout Report and Statement of Expenditures (with proof of payment) within 60 days of completing the project. You also need to confirm that you met the project outcomes.
Municipalities and villages can apply for funding. Villages need to have a council resolution from the municipality confirming support for the project.
The application needs to demonstrate that the project is a priority for the municipality. It also needs to indicate if the project will support the province’s growing population.
Projects can be multi-year but need to be completed by 31 March 2026.
You need to apply for funding by 13 December 2023. Only money spent on costs between the project approval and 31 March 2026 is eligible for funding.
How to apply
- Review detailed program criteria in the Municipal Capital Growth Program Guidelines.
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by email.
- Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing reviews your application after the submission deadline (this can take 6 to 8 weeks).
How long it takes
It should take 6 to 8 weeks for the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing to review your funding application and let you know if your funding application is approved. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the funding, but you need funding (from 1 or more sources) to fund the balance of the project.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- relevant studies to support the project
- complete the budget template
- required council resolutions from all participating municipalities
- detailed cost estimate for the project