Apply for funding to support innovative approaches to regional collaboration: Municipal Innovation Program
The Municipal Innovation Program provides funding for regional cooperation projects to help the long-term sustainability of local governments. Municipalities can apply for funding from the Municipal Innovation Program to support innovative approaches to regional collaboration. You can apply until 7 June 2023.
Use the Municipal Innovation Program Application Form to apply for funding to support innovative approaches to regional economic development, regional planning and inter-municipal collaboration.
You need to use the funding to create:
- new or enhanced regional municipal services
- improved municipal capacity to respond to municipal and regional priorities
- effective inter-municipal relations through joint and collaborative activities
Projects that include collaborating with multiple municipalities or have beneficial impacts for larger populations are given priority.
The Municipal Innovation Program may fund up to 75% of eligible costs for each project. The applicant or other sources need to fund the remaining balance of the project.
Eligible costs include:
- professional services work that supports the development of action plans and implementation plans
- employment costs for a shared term position that builds capacity within participating municipalities to help achieve project outcomes
- costs for implementing project, including professional services (like legal services, land use planning and facilitation costs)
Ineligible costs include:
- general feasibility studies or projects to determine if municipalities should collaborate on a project
- employment costs of existing staff positions
- bonuses or severance related to a term position
- equipment and furniture purchases
- costs of purchasing or owning buildings and land
- capital projects and pilot projects
- facility construction
- principal costs, interest costs, bond discount and other financial costs
If you receive funding from the Municipal Innovation Program, you need to submit a Project Closeout Report and Statement of Expenditures within 60 days of completing the project. You also need to confirm that you met the project outcomes.
Accessing the funding
The Municipal Innovation Program provides up to 50% of the funding at the start of the project. Municipalities receive the remaining funding when they complete the project and the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing approves your Project Closeout Report.
Only municipalities can apply for funding. Villages, community groups, First Nations and others can partner with their municipality on a joint application. You need to have 2 or more municipalities to apply.
The application needs to demonstrate the project’s potential to improve inter-municipal collaboration for regional economic development, regional planning and other services.
All municipalities involved in the project need to have filed all reporting for any previous projects with the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
You need to apply for funding by 7 June 2023.
How to apply
- Review detailed program criteria in the Municipal Innovation Program Application Guidelines.
- Contact the Municipal Innovation Program to discuss your project idea.
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by email.
- Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing reviews your application after the submission deadline (this can take 6 to 8 weeks).
How long it takes
It should take 6 to 8 weeks for the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing to review your funding application and let you know if your funding application is approved. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the funding, but you need to provide funding (from 1 or more sources) to fund the balance of the project.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- relevant studies to support the project
- council resolutions from all participating municipalities
Applications are closed.