Apply for funding to invest in employment opportunities in a municipality: Community Works Program
Municipalities can apply for funding from the Community Works Program to invest in employment opportunities within the municipality. Funded employment opportunities are for students, unemployed individuals and other interested individuals who want to work within their community and gain skills and experience in their fields. You can apply until 7 June 2023.
Use the Community Works Program Application Form to apply for funding to invest in employment opportunities within your municipality.
The Community Works Program helps municipalities invest in employment opportunities to help individuals gain skills and experience in their field.
The Community Works Program may fund up to 50% of eligible costs to a maximum of $25,000 for each employment project. The applicant needs to fund the balance of the costs.
Eligible employment costs
Eligible employment costs include:
- municipal accessibility coordinators
- administrative positions (like public administration and accounting)
- operational positions (like planning, engineering and communications)
- tourist ambassador opportunities
- employees to complete approved project work under the Beautification and Streetscaping Program
Priority is given to employment opportunities that:
- provide work for members of underrepresented groups
- provide work for youth
- support the development of municipal accessibility plans
- support existing plans (like a community master plan, municipal planning strategy or regional economic strategy)
Ineligible costs include:
- wages for existing labour
- training costs
- buying equipment for project work
- operating costs
- ongoing maintenance costs
If you receive funding from the Community Works Program, you need to submit a Project Closeout Report and Statement of Expenditures (with proof of payment) within 60 days of completing the project.
Accessing the funding
You receive up to 50% of the funding at the start of the project. You receive the remaining funding once the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing approves your Project Closeout Report and Statement of Expenditures.
The Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing may ask that you return any funding you didn’t spend and any funding that was spent on items that weren’t part of the project. You also need to return the funding if you cancel the project.
Only municipalities can apply for funding. Municipalities need to follow municipal policies and procedures for fair hiring practices.
You need to apply for funding by 7 June 2023.
How to apply
- Review detailed program criteria in the Community Works Program Guidelines.
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by email.
- Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing reviews your application after the submission deadline (this can take 6 to 8 weeks).
How long it takes
It should take 6 to 8 weeks for the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing to review your funding application and let you know if your funding application is approved. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the funding.
Before you start
Make sure you have a job description for each employment opportunity.