Apply for funding to invest in employment opportunities in a municipality: Community Works Program

Municipalities can apply for funding from the Community Works Program to invest in employment opportunities within the municipality. Funded employment opportunities are for students, unemployed individuals and other interested individuals who want to work within their community and gain skills and experience in their fields. You can apply until 29 June 2021.

Apply for funding to invest in employment opportunities within your municipality.

The Community Works Program helps municipalities invest in employment opportunities to help individuals gain skills and experience in their field.

Funding amount

The Community Works Program may fund up to 50% of eligible costs to a maximum of $25,000 for each employment project. The applicant needs to fund the balance of the project costs. You can’t receive additional funding from other Government of Nova Scotia sources for this project.

Eligible employment costs

Eligible employment costs include:

  • administrative internships for public administration and business administration students
  • operational internships for planning, engineering, graphic design and Nova Scotia Community College students
  • tourist and ambassador opportunities
  • employees to complete approved project work under the Beautification and Streetscaping Program

Priority is given to employment opportunities that demonstrate:

  • potential for community involvement or youth retention
  • a fit with existing plans, like a community master plan, municipal planning strategy or regional economic strategy
  • a direct link to the development of municipal accessibility plans
  • potential to increase involvement of youth and members of underrepresented groups in community

Ineligible costs include:

  • subsidizing existing labour
  • purchasing equipment for project work
  • operating costs
  • ongoing maintenance costs

Reporting requirements

If you receive funding from the Community Works Program, you need to submit a final report and financial log (with proof of payment) within 1 year of receiving the funds.

Accessing the funding

You receive up to 50% of the funding at the start of the project. You receive the remaining funding once the Department of Municipal Affairs approves your final report and financial log.

Returning funding

The Department of Municipal Affairs may ask that you return any funding you didn’t spend and any funding that was spent on items that weren’t part of the project. You also need to return the funding if you cancel the project.


Only municipalities can apply for funding.

You need to train the employee you hire, as well as administer the appropriate human resources criteria. You also need to follow municipal policies and procedures for fair hiring practices.

Your municipality needs to have filed all final reporting for any previous Community Works Program projects with the Department of Municipal Affairs.

You need to apply for funding by 29 June 2021. Project costs are only eligible for funding if the money is spent within 1 year of the date the Department of Municipal Affairs approves your funding.

How to apply

  1. Review detailed program criteria in the Community Works Program Guidelines.
  2. Apply online for the funding.
  3. Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
  4. Submit your completed application and supporting documents.
  5. Department of Municipal Affairs reviews your application after the submission deadline (this can take 6 to 8 weeks).
  6. Check your application status in the Grants Management System.

How long it takes

It should take 6 to 8 weeks for the Department of Municipal Affairs to review your funding application and let you know if your funding application is approved. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.


There is no cost to apply for the funding.

Before you start

Make sure you have provided any relevant studies to support the project.

Apply online

When you apply online you need to know your Grants Management System username and password. You get these from the chief administrative officer (CAO) or clerk of your municipality. Or contact the Community Works Program.

Once you sign in to your Grants Management System account, you also need to upload any required supporting documents. You can do this by scanning the documents or taking pictures of them.

Start now