Apply for funding to buy or modify accessible vehicles: Accessible Transportation Assistance Program
The Accessible Transportation Assistance Program (ATAP) provides funding to buy or modify accessible vehicles if you’re an organization that receives funding from the Community Transportation Assistance Program or you’re a municipal accessible transit organization. You can apply until 1 December 2022 for 2022 to 2023 program funding.
Apply for funding to buy or modify accessible vehicles.
The Accessible Transportation Assistance Program helps inclusive transit services buy an accessible vehicle or convert an existing vehicle.
The program provides funding to help organizations that receive funding from the Community Transportation Assistance Program (CTAP) and municipal accessible transit organizations across the province buy accessible vehicles or modify existing vehicles.
Funding provides up to 75% of capital cost to a maximum of $75,000.
You can apply if you’re an organization that:
- receives funding from the Community Transportation Assistance Program (CTAP)
- provides accessible transit in municipalities (for example, Metro Transit Access-a-Bus and Handi-Trans CB)
- received funding from the Nova Scotia Transit Research Incentive Program (NS-TRIP) for a pilot project to deliver door-to-door service
The following organizations are not eligible to apply:
- fixed-route transit operators
- shuttle operators
- inter-city transit operators
- not-for-profit transit providers that don’t meet the Community Transportation Assistance Program criteria
- nursing homes
You need to apply for funding by 1 December 2022 (applications received after 1 December 2022 will not be considered).
How to apply
- Review detailed program guidelines in the Accessible Transportation Assistance Program Criteria.
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail.
How long it takes
It should take 6 to 8 weeks for the Department of Public Works to review your funding application and let you know if you’re receiving funding. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the funding.
Before you start
Make sure you:
- have at least 3 quotes for the vehicle you want to buy or modify
- have a mechanical assessment if needed