Resolve disputes: options for landlords and tenants

Options available to landlords and tenants for resolving disputes during a tenancy (lease).

During a tenancy, landlords and tenants may have disputes they need to resolve. These guidelines include information on resolving disputes together, making an Application to the Director to get help resolving the dispute, and what to do if you’re served with an Application to the Director.

Work things out

As a tenant or a landlord, if you have a problem, do your research first. Read the Residential Tenancies Act and regulations or call the contact centre for information about the Residential Tenancies Program. Find out your rights and responsibilities, as well as the rights and responsibilities of the other party.

Put your complaint in writing and deliver it to the other party. Follow up in person or by telephone. Many times, landlords and tenants can work out issues on their own.

If you can't work things out, you can make an Application to Director for mediation or a hearing.

You should consider these questions:

  • Have you made every effort to resolve the problem yourselves?
  • Is it really a landlord and tenant problem?
  • Do you have enough evidence to back up your complaint?
  • If you’re seeking payment of money, and if you’re awarded money, do you have a reasonable chance of collecting it from the other party?
  • Can you find and serve papers on the other party?

Application to Director

Use Form J: Application to Director to apply to the Director of Residential Tenancies to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants.

If you're served with an Application to Director

The application you receive contains information about the problem and what the other party wants.

The application comes with an information sheet that explains what happens next. The application lists the name and phone number of the residential tenancy officer assigned to your file. You can contact them with any questions.