Jeannine Lagassé was appointed Deputy Minister of the Department of Health and Wellness in September 2021.
Jeannine began her career practicing law in the private sector in Ottawa and Halifax. She joined the Government of Nova Scotia in 1998, where she worked in the Legal Services Division of the Department of Justice. She held several senior roles with Executive Council Office and the Treasury and Policy Board. Jeannine has also held the position of Associate Deputy Minister of the Department of Health and Wellness.
She completed a Master of Public Administration (Management) at Dalhousie University and a Bachelor of Laws at the University of Saskatchewan.
Deputy Minister, Department of Health and Wellness
The Deputy Minister of the Department of Health and Wellness provides direction and leadership on healthcare policy development. They oversee day-to-day operations for the department and its offices. The deputy minister also monitors the ongoing performance improvement of departmental operations.
- providing advice and recommendations to the minister
- overseeing departmental operations
- carrying out government policies
- making sure the department’s responsibilities under the Health Authorities Act are included in planning, funding and monitoring health services
- working with Nova Scotia Health Authority and IWK Health Centre to improve access to healthcare throughout the province
- Deputy Minister, Office of Addictions and Mental Health
- Associate Deputy Minister, Department of Health and Wellness
- Secretary to the Executive Council
- Executive Director, Executive Council Office
- Senior Corporate Policy Analyst, Treasury and Policy Board