Cathy Montreuil was appointed Deputy Minister of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development in March 2018.
Cathy has more than 30 years of experience working in education as a teacher, principal, superintendent and director of education. Cathy also wrote and taught special education courses for teachers.
Cathy previously served as the Assistant Deputy Minister and Chief Student Achievement Officer for the Ontario Ministry of Education.
Deputy Minister, Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
The deputy minister is responsible for managing the public education system, including early childhood programs and activities, and regulating the licensed childcare sector. They support the management of the Regional Centres for Education and work closely with the Conseil scolaire acadien provincial (CSAP).
- administering the grade primary to 12 public education system
- administering the Nova Scotia Pre-primary Program
- overseeing the 7 Regional Centres for Education and working with the Conseil scolaire acadien provincial (CSAP) to make sure there's consistent academic standards and experiences across the public education system
- regulating the licensed childcare sector
- developing and implementing educational programs and services for students
- Assistant Deputy Minister, Student Achievement Division, Ontario Ministry of Education
- Assistant Deputy Minister, Learning and Curriculum Division, Ontario Ministry of Education
- Director of Education, Bruce-Grey Catholic District School Board
- Superintendent of Education, Bruce-Grey Catholic District School Board
- Principal of Special Education and Programs, Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board