Byron Rafuse was appointed Deputy Minister of the Department of Finance and Treasury Board in June 2016.
Byron has more than 30 years of public service experience, including senior positions at the departments of Finance, Solicitor General, Justice and Health. Byron previously served as the Associate Deputy Minister at Finance and Treasury Board before being appointed to his current deputy minister role. He first joined the Department of Finance and Treasury Board in 2004 as controller.
Byron holds a Bachelor of Commerce from Saint Mary's University and a Chartered Professional Accountant designation.
RoleThe deputy minister helps manage the financial affairs of the province, including taxation, budget and government accounting. They also manage regulation of the financial services, pension and insurance industries.
- overseeing day-to-day operations of the department
- administering the provincial budget
- program development
- regulation of financial services, pension and insurance industries
- Associate Deputy Minister, Department of Finance and Treasury Board
- Controller, Department of Finance and Treasury Board
- Chief Financial Officer, Department of Health