Bernie Miller was appointed Deputy Minister of the Department of Business on January 1, 2018 and Deputy Minister of the Office of Strategy Management on October 1, 2017.
Bernie is committed to advancing the priorities of the people of Nova Scotia. He started his government career as Deputy Minister of the Office of Planning and Priorities and Senior Executive Advisor to the Executive Council Office.
Before joining government, Bernie was a leader in the private sector for 26 years, including as Managing Partner and CEO of McInnes Cooper. Bernie graduated from Dalhousie University in 1988 and was admitted to the Nova Scotia bar in 1989 and the New Brunswick bar in 1993. In 2017, he was appointed Queen’s Counsel.
RoleThe Deputy Minister of Business leads the department in its goal of making Nova Scotia a competitive and business-friendly environment. The Deputy Minister of the Office of Strategy Management is responsible for the development, communication and measurement of government priorities as identified by the premier and Executive Council.
- delivering on the department’s mandate
- aligning government with a shared business growth strategy
- positioning Nova Scotia as competitive and business-friendly
- developing, communicating and measuring government’s priorities for the Office of Strategy Management
- Deputy Minister, Office of Planning and Priorities
- Senior Executive Advisor, Executive Council Office
- Managing Partner and CEO, McInnes Cooper