Disaster financial assistance for small businesses: July 2023 floods
Small businesses can apply for disaster financial assistance for damage or loss from the July 2023 floods. You need to apply by 31 October 2023.
Use the Disaster Assistance for Small Business Application Form to apply for financial assistance for damage or loss to your small business from the July 2023 floods.
The Disaster Financial Assistance Program helps small businesses with costs to repair or replace uninsurable, essential basic property loss (like appliances and furniture) due to the July 2023 floods. The program is also available to residential property owners and tenants and non-profits.
Repair and replacement costs for insured and insurable items (even if insurance wasn’t purchased) are not eligible for assistance. Food lost due to the July 2023 floods also isn’t eligible for assistance.
Financial assistance amount
Financial assistance provides up to $200,000 for repair and replacement costs.
Help with your application
211 Nova Scotia can answer questions about the application process and help identify what information and supporting documents you need.
Small businesses can apply for financial assistance if:
- the damage occurred during the floods on 21 to 23 July 2023
- you don't have insurance to cover your entire loss
- the business owns or leases the property
- you’re a sole proprietor or own at least 50% of the business and you’re its full-time, day-to-day manager
- the yearly gross revenue is at least $10,000 and not more than $2,000,000
You need to apply by 31 October 2023.
How to apply
- Complete the Confirmation of Insurance Form, Income and Employee Eligibility Confirmation Form, Ownership Eligibility Confirmation Form and application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail.
How long it takes
It should take 6 to 8 weeks for the Emergency Management Office to review your application and let you know if you’re receiving financial assistance. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- name of insurance company, policy number, and agent’s name and phone number
- photos of the damage, as well as any “before” photos if you have any
- itemized description of damage or loss and replacement cost estimates
- copy of your rental agreement, if applicable
- letter verifying business management and ownership
- letter verifying your gross annual business income
- authorized representative of the small business available to sign the form
- authorized representative of your insurance company available to complete and sign the Confirmation of Insurance Form
- chartered professional accountant or licensed public accountant available to complete and sign the Income and Employee Eligibility Confirmation Form
- lawyer available to complete and sign the Ownership Eligibility Confirmation Form