Apply for fuel tax exemption increase if you’re a status Indian buying large amounts of fuel on a reserve
Apply for a fuel tax exemption increase to buy more than 400 litres of fuel tax-free per month on a reserve as a status Indian through the Nova Scotia Indian Fuel Tax Exemption Program. Your increased exemption is valid for 3 years.
Use the Nova Scotia Indian Fuel Tax Exemption Program Request for Increased Exemption Form to apply for an increase to the base amount of fuel you can buy tax-free on a reserve as a status Indian.
The Nova Scotia Indian Fuel Tax Exemption Program allows status Indians registered in the program to buy up to 400 litres per month of gas and diesel tax-free from service stations on reserves.
Registered participants of the Nova Scotia Indian Fuel Tax Exemption Program can apply to increase the amount of fuel they’re allowed to buy tax-free if they need extra litres for:
- travel as a business owner
- travel to or for work and school
- travel for medical purposes
- vacation or leisure travel
The increased exemption is valid for 3 years and can be renewed.
You can apply if you:
- are a status Indian
- have a valid Nova Scotia Driver’s Licence that’s not under suspension
- are currently registered in the Nova Scotia Indian Fuel Tax Exemption Program
You don’t need to live on a reserve to apply.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Send your completed application by mail or fax.
- The Nova Scotia Indian Fuel Tax Exemption Program increases your exemption litres and notifies you when the exemption is increased.
- Once your exemption is increased, you can swipe, scan or key in your licence master number into the terminal at registered service stations on reserves to purchase up to the increased exemption each month.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get an increased exemption. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the exemption.
Before you start
Make sure you:
- are registered with the Nova Scotia Indian Fuel Tax Exemption Program
- have your Nova Scotia Driver’s Licence master number
- have the make, year, model, fuel type, odometer reading, vehicle identification number (VIN) and licence plate number of your vehicles
- have details on the travel you need to take, like destination, reason for travel, kilometres and number of trips
- have a Certificate of Indian Status